2023 Construction Updates
Thank you for continuing to support our businesses, retailers, restaurants, artists and neighbors on Ingersoll & Grand through construction season.
Utilize this page to find the most up-to-date information regarding construction projects on our corridor. During the 2023 construction season, a majority of the work you will see happening on Ingersoll & Grand Avenues is related to the City of Des Moines’ sewer separation project.
Western Ingersoll Sewer Separation
The Western Ingersoll Sewer Separation project will upgrade the Western Ingersoll Basin to prevent combined sewer overflows, reduce flow to the Des Moines Metropolitan Wasteland Reclamation Facility, and comply with state requirements. This work began in 2021-2022 and will continue through 2023. This is a necessary public works project to ensure our sewers are sanitary and safe!
- Ingersoll Avenue: Sewer cross-runs on Ingersoll have been completed. The bike lane has been added between 36th-37th Street. Final parking paver installation is scheduled for Nov. 13-14. All remaining clean-up work on Ingersoll Ave. will be completed by this fall.
- Grand Avenue: Paving of the roadway is projected to be complete by Dec. 1. There will still be some clean up, driveway, sidewalk, and seeding to take place after paving.
See project maps and learn about sewer separation phases HERE. Phases 1 and 3 impact the Ingersoll & Grand neighborhood.
Phase 1: Ingersoll Avenue between 35th-41st plus North of Grand neighborhood impacts.
- Contact: Brad Brockman, City of Des Moines, email@example.com
Phase 3: Grand Avenue between 36th-40th plus portions of 35th, 36th and Center Streets.
- Contact: Justin Miller, City of Des Moines, firstname.lastname@example.org
This transformational streetscape project is necessary to keep our district safe and easy to navigate for all modes of transportation, to promote walkability and accessibility for all, to improve stormwater management, to update public utilities for our residents, businesses and property owners – and always, to maintain the beauty and character of our west side neighborhoods. See project maps and learn about future streetscape phases HERE.
- OPEN HOUSE: There will be an open house hosted by Kirkham-Michael and The Avenues of Ingersoll & Grand on November 30 from 11 a.m.–2 p.m. at Palmer’s Deli (2843 Ingersoll Ave). Stop by and ask questions about the streetscape or upcoming construction phases in an informal setting. Refreshments will be provided.
- 1-ON-1 MEETINGS: Does your business or neighborhood group want to learn more about upcoming construction plans? Email Lauren to set up a 1-on-1 meeting with The Avenues and the engineering team behind the project.
- PUBLIC MEETING: The online public meeting to discuss Phase 4, hosted by the City of Des Moines, has been postponed. It will be rescheduled for early 2024.
HAVE QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS REGARDING CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS? Contact email@example.com