The Avenues is moving forward – charged by the potential to be the most vibrant, inclusive place for connection.
Thank you for continuing to support our businesses, retailers, restaurants, artists and neighbors on Ingersoll & Grand through this season of transformation. The infrastructure improvements we make now are creating an opportunity for everyone to live, shop, dine, and play even better. The Avenues are OPEN during construction – on-street parking may be impacted but driveways to all businesses will remain accessible.
Return to this page for the most up-to-date information regarding construction projects on our corridor, including the multi-phase streetscape to the sewer separation:
- CURRENT STATUS: The south half of Ingersoll Avenue from Martin Luther King Jr. Parkway to 28th Street is currently under construction. Crews are installing hardscape, including planter beds, sidewalks and raised bike lanes. They will also install pavers in the new on-street parking areas. In late summer/early fall (currently estimated to begin September 6), the street will be repaved and Ingersoll Avenue will be one-way traffic. During this time a eastbound detour route on Grand Avenue will be posted.
- BENEFITS: This transformational streetscape project is necessary to keep our district safe and easy to navigate for all modes of transportation, to promote walkability and accessibility for all, to improve stormwater management, to update public utilities for our residents, businesses and property owners – and always, to maintain the beauty and character of our west side neighborhoods.
- LEARN MORE: See project maps and learn about future streetscape phases HERE.
Western Ingersoll Sewer Separation
- CURRENT STATUS: Crews are currently working between 36th and 42nd Streets along Ingersoll Avenue and in the North of Grand neighborhood along Woodland Avenue and Pleasant Street. Current plans call for construction to be complete on Ingersoll by early August with paving of the northside of the street happening the week of August 1-6. An asphalt overlay of the southside of the street will follow. Work will continue this summer and fall into the neighborhoods. Crews are currently working on 35th Street between Ingersoll and Woodland Avenue in July, impacting the Woodland and 35th Street intersection.
- BENEFITS: The Western Ingersoll Sewer Separation project will upgrade the Western Ingersoll Basin to prevent combined sewer overflows, reduce flow to the Des Moines Metropolitan Wasteland Reclamation Facility, and comply with state requirements. This is a necessary public works project to ensure our sewers are sanitary and safe!
- LEARN MORE: See project maps and learn about future sewer separation phases HERE.
HAVE QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS REGARDING CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org