Art Week Des Moines returns June 17 – June 23 in neighborhoods across Des Moines!
This year the program will concentrate activities and attention through neighborhood activations. The Avenues of Ingersoll & Grand is slated to kick-off Art Week on Friday, June 17. For the full schedule click here.
Art Week events will be held in traditional and non-traditional art spaces along Ingersoll & Grand Avenues including restaurants, outdoor patios, sidewalks and galleries. Return to this post for the most up-to-date information and details.
Friday, June 17: Art Week on The Avenues
- Poetry Reading at Zanzibar’s: Poets will read from 4-6 p.m on June 17 at Zanzibar’s Coffee Adventure. Come early—bring your friends! The event will feature some of Iowa’s finest poets including Jennifer Knox, Rustin Larson, Kyle McCord, Shannon Vesely, Steve Rose, Michaela Mullin, and Emma Murray.
- Artists on Art Tour: Experience the Des Moines Art Center’s permanent collection through the minds of area artists. This tour at 6 p.m. on June 17 will be led by Cameron Gray, Jill Wells, and Jim White. You’ll see modern and contemporary art in a whole new light! Find more details on the Des Moines Art Center’s website here.
- ILK HAUS presents SMÖRGÅSBORD: Bring your own chair and gather in the parking lot of Renovation Jungle (607 37th) on June 17 at 6:30 p.m. to attend a free, unique event featuring local poets/writers, musicians and improv comedians. Learn more: www.ilkhaus.org
- City Sounds Concert: Stroll by the City Sounds piano located in front of Ted’s Coney Island (3020 Ingersoll) on June 17 from 4–6 p.m. to hear contemporary tunes played by local musician Allen Juneau.
- Art on Ingersoll Open House: Visit ART on Ingersoll (2925 Ingersoll) for an open house gallery night on June 17 from 2–7 p.m. featuring local art that evokes happiness and positivity, plus wine, cheese and community.
- Moberg Gallery presents “Contemporary Abstraction”: Moberg Gallery (2411 Grand) will be open extended hours until 7 p.m. on June 17 to showcase their latest exhibit Contemporary Abstraction. Over 20 artists from around the world will exhibit together, embracing the varied methods, media, surfaces, and narratives that comprise the world of abstraction today.
- A Feast For Your Eyes: Be on the lookout for special food and drink collaborations at your favorite Ingersoll bars and restaurants on June 17. Local artists will be pairing up with the chefs and mixologists to create one-of-a-kind, art-inspired food and drinks. Find the specials at:
Other Art Week events happening on The Avenues:
- De-Tached Garage Open Studio: Wet-carved cement? What’s that? Come watch carver Alice Marie Bodson and Michelle Engler wielding kitchen tableware during an open studio from 2–6 p.m. on Saturday, June 18. You can also tour the garden, see concrete pots and sculpture on display and observe the shenanigans of amorous vacuum cleaners. Located in the alleyway off Woodland Avenue between 24th and 23rd Streets. There will be signage.
- Jewelry Artists Salon: Handcrafted silver jewelry with enamel or river stone at Moberg Gallery, featuring work by Rachel Tone & Rebecca Bashara. Come take a look on June 23 (12–7 p.m.), June 24 (12–7 p.m.) and June 25 (12–4 p.m.)