Organization: The Avenues of Ingersoll & Grand Self-Supported Municipal Improvement (SSMID) District
Job Title: Executive Director, Full Time
Reports To: The Avenues Board of Directors
- Medical and dental healthcare plans
- Life insurance
- PTO including 20 days accrued annually plus 9 paid holidays
- Flexible schedule
Deadline to Apply: September 1, 2021
The Avenues of Ingersoll & Grand was formed in 1998 to revitalize and enhance the Ingersoll and Grand business district in Des Moines, Iowa.
Since its beginnings, The Avenues has worked to improve the district through public improvements such as infrastructure updates, streetscape, public art, and urban planning. In 2012, these efforts resulted in the establishment of an urban renewal area providing tax incremental financing (TIF) opportunities for further improvements. In addition, a Self-Supported Municipal Improvement District (SSMID) has been established for maintenance, capital improvement, marketing and promotion, and economic development.
Two non-profits work together to deliver the vision of The Avenues of Ingersoll & Grand. The SSMID, a 501(c)6 non-profit, operates under an operating agreement with the City of Des Moines and is guidedby a board comprised primarily of owners from the district.
The second is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization known as The Avenues – Ingersoll & Grand. The role of this board is to establish the short and long term strategic vision for the district with a dedicated board and committees to support these goals. The two boards merged in 2020.
The underlying goal of The Avenues of Ingersoll & Grand (SSMID and The Avenues) is to enhance the beauty, safety, and cleanliness of this district. The primary method for achieving this goal is it through property valuation growth (economic development), enhanced maintenance, and marketing & promotion of the district.
The Avenues of Ingersoll & Grand District seeks a full-time executive director to guide the organization, lead initiatives and serve as an advocate. Primary responsibilities will be to promote The Avenues through economic development, marketing, streetscape/beautification management, stakeholder relations, and general administrative duties. The position will report to the Board President and provide updates to the full Avenues Board of Directors on a regular basis.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in the recruiting, retention or expansion of commercial businesses.
- Together with current property and business owners, endeavor to establish relationships that will attract new commercial tenants and retain or assist with expansion of existing tenants/businesses.
- Identify buildings and sites for office, commercial, and residential real estate development.
- Maintain relationships with commercial real estate community including builders, building owners / managers, and brokers. Assists brokers with marketing vacant office and commercial space.
- Provide support and advice to potential developers and their prospective tenants to obtain development incentives from state, county, and city governments.
- Undertake or manage various kinds of economic-related research projects in support of SSMID programs.
Marketing, Promotion & Communication
- Assist Event Committee volunteers with the production of annual events such as Ingersoll LIVE, Small Business Saturday, and the spring sidewalk sale.Create new events if warranted. Tasks shall include assisting volunteers with the following:
- Event planning and promotion
- Fundraising and grant writing
- Contracts service providers and entertainment acts
- Coordinates licenses and permits
- Recruits, schedules, and manages volunteers
- Secures vendors and exhibitors
- Maintain website and social media accounts.Review The Avenues digital footprint on an ongoing basis.
- Promote The Avenues branding through apparel and multimedia advertising.
Streetscape Management & Maintenance Program
- Serve as The Avenues spokesperson for public improvement projects within the district.Communicate with the design team, the city and business owners throughout design and construction, including phases currently underway and future phases including Ingersoll streetscapes from 31st to 42nd and public improvements along Grand Avenue.
- Work with independent contractor to manage beautification program, including planning and execution of work plan.Manages renewal of maintenance contract.
- Assist with procurement of other maintenance related issues as required.
Stakeholder Relations, General Administrative and Operating Services
- Communicate regularly with volunteer SSMID Board and Avenues Board.
- Build relationships with Ingersoll and Grand property owners, neighborhood and business associations.
- Prepare bi-monthly program reports and control expenditures in accordance with budget allocations as required by the SSMID Operating Agreement with the City of Des Moines.
- Manage the Avenues committees.Facilitate collaboration and communication between the committees and the boards of directors.
- Work with officials from the public sector, attending meetings as necessary.
- Manage financial statements and annual audits with independent accountant.File required tax forms to retain non-profit status.
- Research funding sources and write proposals to organizations with grant programs.
- Manage contractual agreements with vendors, clients, and organizations. Endeavor to keep projects on schedule and within prescribed budget.
- Analyze information needs, create and maintain ad hoc and ongoing reports, and maintain internal databases for related functional information.
- Submit SSMID reports to the City of Des Moines.
- Perform administrative services including meeting coordination, board communication, minutes, bookkeeping, insurance policies, and, when directed by the SSMID board of directors, the execution of contracts.
- Apply for and/or obtains required licenses, insurance and permits.
- Assist with various permanent and ad hoc committees of The Avenues.
The applicant must be able to perform the above responsibilities to ensure The Avenues continues to operate at a high level. The requirements listed below are prerequisites for consideration of the position.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- Five years of relevant work experience
- Knowledge of non-profit operations
- Understanding of city and governmental operations
- Experience in one or more of the following:
- Economic development
- Marketing & promotion
- Management & communications
- Operations and administrative duties
- Ability to work independently while reporting to the board of directors on an ongoing basis.
- Available to work occasional extended hours (early morning, evenings, weekends) as necessary.
- Ability to function with independent judgment and skills to plan, organize, and implement all activities of The Avenues.
- Ability to travel (by car and by foot) inside and outside in all types of weather conditions to visit district stakeholders, meet with public officials, produce events, and attend meetings and trainings; requires driving to and from various destinations.
- Ability to communicate both orally and in writing to read, analyze, record, and interpret technical data; review materials on a variety of projects; present facts and findings clearly and concisely; give advice and recommendations; and respond to questions by members of the public, public officials, media, and co-workers.
- Ability to prepare written reports, complete forms, and perform required record keeping.
- Ability to assign work, give instructions, motivate, and review work of staff and volunteers.
- Ability to effectively utilize information technologies and office equipment.
- Excellent computer, technology & social media knowledge and skills
- Ability to walk, stand, and sit for extended periods of time when attending meetings, visiting district stakeholders, and performing general planning duties.
Please send resumes and inquiries to email@example.com.
The Avenues is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.