RFQ – Staircase Mural
The Avenues of Ingersoll & Grand and Tree House Partners
The Treehouse Apartments, built in 1923, is a newly renovated apartment community in Des Moines. Located across from Terrace Hill, minutes from downtown, and located between Grand Avenue and Ingersoll Avenue. The staircase was also built in 1923 and served as the main pathway from Ingersoll to Grand for local residents.
The Avenues of Ingersoll & Grand is a nonprofit that provides economic development, marketing & promotion, enhanced maintenance, and beautification of this commercial, cultural and residential district located in the historical heart of Des Moines, Iowa.
Currently is open and we will look at artist’s proposals to determine final budget. Range will be $5,000 – $10,000. Final budget will be determined after the request for proposals is completed.
A staircase on Ingersoll Avenue will soon be transformed into a pedestrian pathway featuring public art, lighting and enhanced landscaping. The stairs, located near 2300 Ingersoll Avenue, will connect Ingersoll to Grand Avenue in the first-of-its kind project on the corridor.
The Avenues of Ingersoll & Grand teamed up with Tree House Partners, the developers behind the Grand Trees Apartments, to enhance the staircase for public use. The public art will be accessible for viewing from Ingersoll or pedestrians can use the staircase to travel to Grand Avenue. The entire pathway – from Ingersoll to Grand – will be open to the public through the Grand Trees property.
The project contributes to the district’s goals of incorporating more urban recreation opportunities through enhanced walkability efforts, public art and leveraging green space. Funding for the project will be provided by Tree House Partners and a Community Development Grant from the Polk County Board of Supervisors.
Artwork painted on the stairway will have to appeal to a wide audience, be durable and suit the space, and not be offensive in any way. The project may involve paint, spray paint and/or vinyl will be considered. The links below will help you understand our vision:
- Professional resume
- Three professional references with current name, address, email, and telephone number
- 5-7 low resolution digital images of applicable completed murals emailed to TJ@moberggallery.com
- Put the artist’s name in the email subject line.
- Images should be sized between 150 and 200dpi.
- No more than two paragraphs expressing your basic concept for addressing this space. Complete proposal will be requested from up to 3 finalists who will be awarded a design stipend.
Please submit qualifications and any questions to: TJ@moberggallery.com
- Call to Artists Issue Date: Thursday, February 9, 2023
- Application Deadline: Monday, March 6, 2023, 4:00 p.m.
- Announcement of Finalists: Friday, March 10, 2023. Finalists will be awarded a design stipend and asked to submit a proposal.
- Proposals Due: March 31, 2023
- Final Artist Selected & Awarded Commission: Prior to April 7, 2023
- Artwork Installation Scheduled: Prior to June 1, 2023
- Artwork Completion: Prior to July 31, 2023